Slab leaks can be every homeowners worst nightmare, since they can be hard to detect before damage is done. Once you recognize any signs, you need to act quickly, as these slab leaks can cause a lot of damage very quickly.
What is a Slab Leak?
A slab is the concrete foundation which most houses are built on. Typically, there are water pipes and sewer lines running underneath the concrete slab. If one of these lines bursts or has a crack in it, it can result in a slab leak. This type of damage needs to be addressed immediately, as it can cause a huge amount of damage in a short period of time.
How Common are Slab Leaks?
Homes that are built with copper or galvanized steel pipes are more prone to slab leaks, since these types of pipes are prone to corrosion. This is particularly common for older homes. Also, slab leaks are more likely to occur after an earthquake or soil erosion.
Signs of a Slab Leak
Here are a few signs that you may have a slab leak:
- Damp smell
- Heaving foundation
- Low water pressure
- Uneven growth in garden plants
- Dampness in walls, floors, and ceilings
- Unexplainable increase in water or heating bills
- Water puddles along the perimeter of the house
- Running water meter when all appliances are turned off
- Water stains, warm spots, or raised “dome” in your floor/carpeting
How to Fix a Slab Leak
It is important to hire a professional team of plumbers to check out your slab leak. This is the specific order of key steps that the plumber will go through:
- Find the specific leak location. The plumber will utilize special equipment to pinpoint the exact location of the of the leak.
- Find the best solution. Next, the plumber and their team will give you a few options depending on the severity of your situation.
- Remove the concrete slab. Once the plumber finds the exact location of the leak, and comes up with the best solution, they will need to rip up the concrete slab to fix it.
Once these steps are complete, the plumber and their team will work on and complete the project, then you will be all set.
Services with Pristine Plumbing
If you’re located in Orange County, then reach out to the professionals at Pristine Plumbing to help you fix your slab leak with no issues. You can trust our reliable and skilled team of professionals to help you complete any project or fix any issues with ease. We’re available 24/7, so call now for services, or if you are concerned that you might have a slab leak.