Why is it essential to select a high-quality water filter? Well, the short answer is to maintain the health of the people in your home. All water from every sink or faucet in your home will come through a filter, so it’s imperative that your filter is actually filtering out the bad stuff, and allowing your family to have access to clean, safe water for all their water needs.
Tap water can contain unhealthy chemicals, heavy metals, and pesticides. Thankfully, these harmful contaminants can be removed from your home with a high-quality water filter.
First of all, decide if you would like to filter your drinking water only, or filter all contaminants from the water that runs throughout your entire home. This will help you narrow down the filters you should look into.
How does your water become contaminated?
Not all water companies comply with the Environmental Protection Agency’s requirements, and the EPA does not regulate every possible contaminant that could end up in your water. So, what can increase the chances of your home’s water having harmful contaminants in it? A multitude of factors can go into this, such as your home’s proximity to the industrial plants, where your water is sourced, the age of plumbing fixtures in your home, and storm runoff entering the sewer system.
Some common types of contaminants are:
- Household cleaners
- Radioactive materials
In order to know which types of contaminants are in your water supply, you can purchase an at-home water testing kit, or hire a plumber to come and test your water for you.
Types of Filters
Here are 5 types of filters you might opt for to remove these contaminants from your home:
- Shower Filter – mainly eliminates chlorine from your water system to reduce the effects on your skin while showering
- Refrigerator Water Filter – eliminates contaminants that come through your refrigerator water dispenser and ice maker
- Faucet Water Filter – eliminates contaminants from exiting the faucet head, the most inexpensive option
- Under-Sink Water Filter – eliminates contaminants from sink faucets through an under-sink installation
- Whole House Water Filter – eliminates contaminants throughout the entire house in one filtration system
Got questions about how to choose which water filter is right for your home? Reach out to the professional team at Pristine Plumbing to help you pick out the perfect solution for your house.